As 2017 hits its summer stride, Kia has announced three new configurations for their 2018 Kia Niro lineup, including a hybrid version and an electric version of their already smart crossover. While hybrids and electric cars have been staples in Kia’s inventory for years, there’s something about the new 2018 Kia Niro models that is just perfectly timed and more relevant than ever. Let’s take a look and see what makes the 2018 Niro so electrifying.
Three Versions of Excellence | Rise of the Niro
According to Kia, the standard 2018 Niro will not receive any stylistic changes from the already sleek 2017 Niro, though there are rumors surrounding upgraded technology features and trim upgrades. The juiciest tidbits have all been circulating around their plug-in and electric models.
In today’s fuel-obsessed economy, the 2018 Niro Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) delivers a refreshing way of thinking about how to driver smarter for the future. A hybrid at heart, this crossover gives you the added ability to go fully electric whenever you choose.
With a release date of late 2017, what we know about the Niro so far includes:
- The PHEV is powered by a 1.6 liter four cylinder engine paired to a permanent-magnet synchronous AC electric motor/generator powered by a 1.6-kWh lithium-ion battery pack. This will get you up to 34 miles on a full electric charge.
- The full electric is expected to use the same components, but with an increased capacity 8.9-kWh battery for more power without the use of gasoline. Get hyped with the power of electricity.
- The new Niro will also link the GPS to the Eco Driving Assistant system to keep track of mileage and energy conservation features that coach the driver on braking, coasting and more.
- For adventurers looking to take it to the road for heavy lifting and camping outings, there will be an optional towing-package option, which could give the hybrid an impressive 2,866-lbs towing capacity based on European specifications. It is unclear whether this will remain the same for U.S. markets.
- Kia also confirms there are several new trim levels, updated pricing, potential new colors, and more along the way.
Get Updates on the 2018 Kia Niro as the Happen with Union County Kia in Monroe, NC
Stay updated on the new features of the 2018 Kia Niro with Union County Kia in Monroe, North Carolina. Our helpful staff is here to answer all your questions about the new Niro, as well as current new and used models. Schedule a test-drive in your favorite Soul, Sedona, Sportage, Forte, and more so you can get a feel for what Kia has to offer.